Here’s what it takes to make a new faith community happen
As a growing congregation we are focused on facilitating a meaningful Sunday worship experience and have several teams devoted to this:
- Ushers (the people who help with seating, the offering, and know where the bathrooms are)
- Greeters (the those who welcome you as you enter the worship space, are happy to answer any questions)
- Communion set up (come early to prepare the communion elements)
- Coffee team (because coffee is a necessity!)
- Nursery through 5th grade volunteers (the people who teach and care for the children in Sunday School)
- Middle school team (adults who connect with our middle schoolers before, during, and after the service, host events, etc.)
- Worship band and sound team (instrumentalists, vocalists, people to run the sound board)
- Multi-media team (video the services for those not able to attend, etc.)
To get more information, or to sign up for any of these jobs, please contact the church office.
Of course, those who work with minors must first be known to the church and screened as part of our abuse prevention policy.
Here’s what it takes to make a difference going forward
We come from a church experience that empowered lots and lots of people to do very meaningful things — working with the homeless community, serving single mom families, providing one-on-one support to people in crisis, launching and leading small groups, offering classes, engaging environmental concerns and other social justice issues. As our life together develops we expect that these and other opportunities will proliferate. Over the next year, for example, we hope to join to support a food pantry on the church grounds with members of St. Clare’s, Temple Beth Emeth, and Muslim Social Services. We are also hope to help launch a ministry to single mom families.
As a congregation, we are also committed to supporting the development of faith communities that are Jesus, Spirit, Scripture, science, and all-people friendly. We think the time is ripe for communities like these to spring up all over the place and through Blue Ocean Faith Network we plan to lend our energies to that end.